Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Food Histories and Mysteries


I have learned that some of America’s iconic foods, such as the hamburger, were not even fully invented in our country, yet, were result of a combination of ideas and events throughout different places in history. For example, in Hamburger: A Global History, Andrew F. Smith touches on the fact that the name “hamburger” comes from the dish “hamburg steak,” which was featured on the menu of Phillip J. Lauby’s German restaurant at the Philadelphia’s Centennial Exposition in 1876. Furthermore, sometime between 1880 and 1890, the hamburger became an American favorite, as sometime (it is still unknown as to who) decided to put the patty in between two pieces of bread. 
            In addition to the hamburger, I feel that Jell-o is another iconic American food item. After some careful research, I learned that Jell-o, which is actually a brand name of gelatin desserts, but has pretty much taken over the market for this particular product and their brand name is the only name really associated with this strange and fun dessert. Odd and gross enough, the key ingredient in Jell-o, gelatin, is produced when collagen is extracted from animal parts such as bones, connective tissues, and intestines. However, like most iconic American foods, what we know as Jell-o was first popularized during the Victorian era, in a much more extravagant and decorative manner. “Jell-o” was introduced in America around the turn of the 20th century, after a man named Peter Cooper sold his 1845 patent for powdered gelatin to a LeRoy, New York couple, who made the dessert out of their house before selling their business to a neighbor. The man who bought the business and patent rights, Francis Woodward, struggled with the product at first, but would eventually popularize the tasty treat.
            Personally, I have been subjected to Jell-o from a very early age. Growing up, and still to this day, I have never been a fan of cakes and cookies. It is a bit odd, however, I am more drawn to the taste of salty foods, as opposed to sweet ones. So, on my birthday’s, when I was growing up, my mom would always put together a tray with cups of “birthday jell-o,” candles and all. Some of my friends would look at me strange, but they would enjoy their jell-o. To this day, it is one of my fondest childhood memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment