Wednesday, January 25, 2012

W3: Teachers

Just is the case with probably everyone else in the class, I was subjected to food since I left my mother’s womb. As a child, I would sit in the kitchen and watch my mother cook, like every curious child would do on occasion. Aside from teaching me how to make eggs and use our kitchen appliances, my mother hasn’t really, directly taught me how to cook. That’s not to say that I haven’t learned how to cook from her. In many ways she has taught me a great deal. For starters, I have learned much, over the years, from just watching her cook. In addition, she has taught me many little intricacies and tips that I apply quite often when I cook dinner for my self at school. For example, my mom would always tell me that it is important to put a dollop of oil and a pinch of salt in the water that you boil for pasta. She would always tell my brother and I that it is important that we have a colorful plate (many different colored foods), which always struck me as odd. However, I later learned she said that due to the propensity for vegetables, which are among the most nutritious types of foods, to be many different colors, therefore referring to vegetables. I guess that is more of a motherly piece of advice, as opposed to a cooking tip. All in all, while my mother may not have directly taught me how to cook, more or less, through observing her throughout the years, I have obtained the skills to get through the cooking demands in everyday life (aka I can make pasta, grill, and use a stove/oven). By no means am I a good cook and, most of the time, I tend to get carried away with unusual, yet creative combinations of foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment